To all who starts a day with Starbucks,
If you want to be that extra vip, here are some tricks your barista may or may not want you to know. This will make your barista remember you and spend less on your drinks. It might even score yourself a free drink someday!
1. Score your pup a Puppuccino
It might cost you a buck or two depending on the store, but whipped cream is technically safe for dogs to consume (unless they have health issues).
2. They over-roast their coffee for a reason
Well, they sell it as an Italian-style roast, but if you’ve ever been to Italy you know the coffee doesn’t taste like that. Instead, some say they do it so you’ll want to upgrade to a sugary drink to cover the taste.
Starbucks isn’t making the big bucks from black coffee – it needs you to get a venti frappuccino or cinnamon latte for a few dollars more.
3. The employ the “Starbucks Effect”
That’s why it’s hard to even hold their cups in a way that doesn’t show off their logo.
4. Avoid scalding yourself with this trick
5. Look for the black apron
6. Cut your latte price in half
Then, you can head over to the condiment bar and add as much cold milk as you want to make it a latte.
You have to do some of the work yourself, but you just saved a bundle on an iced venti latte!
7. You can usually pre-game your seasonal drinks
8. Some locations don’t want you lounging
If you see a Starbucks on a popular corner in a big city, you may notice that there are very few tables and chairs at all.
That’s all on purpose. They want you to get in, get your drink, and the move along so the next customer pony up their dough.
9. Skip the venti if you’re in it for the espresso
They said: “This is true of most standard Starbucks beverages. You can always ask for an additional shot in any beverage size.”
10. Use the Starbucks app if you want to know what’s really in your drink
11. They write their prices in a specific way
Next time you go in, try to remember if that new $3.65 latte used to be $3.60 on the menu.
12. If you need decaf, order it drip style
13. Need stronger coffee? Make an odd request
Just don’t be surprised if you have to explain it after an odd look. It’s probably not a request they get very often.
14. The are FOMO masters
15. Rude people get decaf
It’s a favorite passive-aggressive trick of cafe employees everywhere who feel they’re being treated rudely.
ALWAYS be nice to your barista.
16. Your iced coffee is not keto-friendly
17. None of the food is fresh
18. Everyone thinks you’re a jerk when you dump coffee in the trash
19. The “secret menu” is really just marketing hype
Baristas also get (rightfully) annoyed when people order off this “menu,” especially when it’s busy, because those drinks often require extra steps and break up the normal flow of work.
20. Don’t try to order “secret” items by name
And remember how annoying it is when you custom order a drink while business is booming! If you’re going to ask a barista to do extra work, at least have your info ready.
21. Ask about favorites
But, seriously, don’t try it while other people are waiting or when your barista is obviously busy. Timing is everything.
22. Vegans, beware of syrups
But knowledge is power.
23. You get a free drink on your birthday
24. You barista or store manager is likely paying for your military/police discount
But it’s all to thank you for your service!
25. Ordering certain drinks during “rush hour” will not make you any friends
They’re still going to make it for you, but it’s good to know how not to annoy the person making your drink!
26. Light roast coffee has the most caffeine
27. Pumpkin spice contains no pumpkin
So really, you just like pie (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
28. You don’t have to tip, but you should
29. No one wants to see an intern or gopher come through the door
30. Some customers get free refills for as long as they’re in the store
Unless you leave the store – then your next drink is considered a new purchase.